Lawyer Kroll persevered in his defense of Dany Escobedo. The case was argued before the Supreme Court, and in 1964, in a landmark decision, the Court reversed Danny’s conviction. Legal aid, said the judges, must be instantly available to a suspect. “A system of law enforcement which comes to depend on the confession,” one justice declare, “will, in the long run, be less reliable than a system which depends on extrinsic evidence independently secured through skillful investigation.”
- persevere- ngotot
- supreme court – mahkamah agung
- landmark – peristiwa penting
- reverse – membalikan
- conviction- a formal declaration that someone is guilty of a criminal offense, made by the verdict of a jury or the decision of a judge in a court of law
- enforcement – pelaksanaan
- extrinsic – not part of the essential nature of someone or something; coming or operating from outside.