The study of the human mind and behavior has had many prominent practitioners, but no one is more revered than Sigmund Freud. An Austrian physician, he is said to be the father of psychoanalysis. He taught that man has a subconscious mind in which he keeps repugnant memories which come to the surface surreptitiously and motivate behavior. Man often tries to rationalize his actions, when, in reality, they are really the result of suppressed memories coming to the surface. Freud’s approach to the disturbed person was to attempt therapy by examining the dreams which make cognizant what the cause of the illness might be. Only with the airing of deleterious, buried emotions can the person move from the nascent stage to that of full health. Freud was considered an iconoclast in the field of psychology when his ideas first appeared at the beginning of this century.
- prominent- menonjol, terkemuka, important; famous.
- revere- menghormati, memuja, feel deep respect or admiration for (something).
- subconscios mind- pikiran bawah sadar
- repugnant- menjijikan, extremely distasteful; unacceptable.
- surreptitiously- secara diam diam / sembunyi sembunyi
- cognizant- sadar, mengatahui, having knowledge or being aware of.
- deleterious- merusak, causing harm or damage
- nascent- mulai timbul, baru lahir
- iconoclast – a person who attacks cherished beliefs or institutions.