The pugnacious K.O Mulllins demanded a rematch. He took a full-page newspaper advertisement to promulgate his challenge. When the champ’s manager saw the brash announcement, he accosted Mullins who was surrounded by a throng of newsmen. The manager openly scoffed at Mullins and belittled his fighting ability. Mullins then lost his temper and fearlessly punched the manager, knocking him down from his wheelchair.
- Throws down the gauntlet – mengajukan tantangan
- Gauntlet – sarung tangan tinju
- Pugnacious – garang
- Rematch – pertandingan ulang
- Accost – menyapa, menegur
- A throng of – kerumunan
- Scoffed – mengejek, mencemooh
- Belittled – meremehkan
- fearlessly – tanpa rasa takut
- To throw down the gaunlet – to challenge someone (where the gauntlet, or medieval glove, was throw down, the challenger was required to pick it up).
- The principal of our rival schoool threw down the gauntlet, and we had no choice but accept the challenge.
- Gauntlets are long, thick, protective gloves. The policemen pulled on their white gauntlets.