While machine may usurp many menial tasks – typing of letters, making out paychecks – it can also work in less mundane ways. One such example was the use of a computer to predict the result of football game. All the information about the two teams: speed of the back, weight of linesmen, past performances of the teams, even the years served by the venerable coaches was fed into the machine. Extraneous material was avoided. The astute computer printed the figure “one” for each team. While this may seem ambiguous for the average person, it represented in the succinct language of the computer the actual score of one touchdown for each side : 7 – 7
- usurp- merebut, take (a position of power or importance) illegally or by force.
- menial- kasar, rendah, of work) not requiring much skill and lacking prestige.
- mundane- biasa, duniawi, lacking interest or excitement; dull.
- venerable- terhormat, patut dimuliakan/dihormati/disegani, accorded a great deal of respect, esp. because of age, wisdom, or character.
- extraneous – asing, yg tdk ada hubungannya, irrelevant or unrelated to the subject being dealt with.
- astute – cerdik, having or showing an ability to accurately assess situations or people and turn this to one’s advantage.
- ambiguous – dwimakna, of language) open to more than one interpretation; having a double meaning
- succinct – singkat, (esp. of something written or spoken) briefly and clearly expressed.