In the course of their studies of other cultures, anthropologists have reported numerous customs and practices which seem bizarre to the average American. Many primitive people believe that certain inanimate objects have a will of their own and possess some magical powers. These fetishes may be simple things like a particular feather of a bird or a unique pebble. The fetish might have derived its power, according to members of some tribes, from a god who lives within the object and has changed it into a thing of magic. Fetishes as a sculpture or carving is also believed to posses supernatural powers.
- numerous- great in number; many
- bizarre- very strange or unusual, esp. so as to cause interest or amusement
- fetish- an inanimate object worshiped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.
- pebble – batu kerikil
- tribe – suku bangsa
- sculpture – the art of making two- or three-dimensional representative or abstract forms, esp. by carving stone or wood or by casting metal or plaster.
- carving – an object or design cut from a hard material as an artistic work.