How paradoxical that the world’s greatest chefs have all been man! Cooking would clearly seem to be field which lies exclusively within the ladies realm, yet the annals of cookery are replete with masculine names: Brillat Savarin, Ritz Diat, Larousse. To compound the puzzle, there has rarely been a tinge of rumor or scandal casting doubts on the masculinity of these heroes of cuisine.
- Paradoxical – paradoksal, yg bertentangan asas
- Chef – koki, juru masak
- realm – dunia, alam, bidang
- yet – namun
- annals – catatan sejarah
- cookery – keahlian memasak
- replete with – penuh dengan
- to compound – menggabungkan
- tinge – mewarnai sedikit
- masculinity – kejantantan, kelelakian, possession of the qualities traditionally associated with men.
- cuisine – masakan, santapan
The worlds of science-fiction abound with wonders. Yet modern technology progress so rapidly that what may be today’s wild dream may be next year’s kitchen appliance. A British scientist has prognosticated that within ten years every sub-urban matron will have her own robot servant. One task this domesticated automaton will not have to contend with will be scouring the oven because today the newest ranges can be programmed to reduce their own baked on grime to easily disposed of ashes.
- Abound with – berlimpah, dipenuhi dengan
- Yet – meskipun demikian
- sub-urban – penghuni bagian pinggir kota
- Appliance – alat, perlengkapan, perkakas
- Prognosticate – meramalkan
- Matron – wanita bersuami, janda, ibu asrama
- Domesticated – jinak
- automaton – robot
- to contend with – untuk bersaing dengan
- scouring – menggosok
- ranges – jajaran, jenis-jenis
- Baked – dipanggang
- grime – kotoran
- Dispose – membuang
- Ash – debu
A youngster who reads voraciously, though indiscriminately, does not necessarily gain in wisdom over the teenager who is more selective in his reading choices. A young man who has read the life story of every eminent athlete of the twentieth century, or a coed who has steeped herself in every social-protest novel she can get her hand on, may very well be learning all there is to know in a very limited area. But books are replete with many wonders that it is often discouraging to see bright young people limit their own experiences.