If one were to look at the rooster of physical handicaps, one would reach the somber conclusion that the list is a long one. Included would be stunted development of an arm or leg due to a birth anomaly. Others would be the result of a crippling disease which has caused muscles to atrophy. The list would go on with illnesses and injuries which maim and debilitate. Modern medicine has done much to ameliorate the physical problems. However, there are an inordinate number of problems of the handicapped which have still to be alleviated. People are not naturally callous, but in some perverse way they have the propensity to repress any concern with the physically handicapped. The social problems seem to be inherent in our own attitudes.
- rooster- ayam jantan/jago
- somber- suram, muram, redup
- conclusion – kesimpulan
- stunted – kerdil, prevent from growing or developing properly.
- crippling – yg melumpuhkan, cause (someone) to become unable to move or walk properly.
- atrophy – terhentinya pertumbuhan
- maim – menyebabkan cedera/cacat, wound or injure (someone) so that part of the body is permanently damaged.
- debilitate – melemahkan, mengurangi tenaga, make (someone) weak and infirm.
- ameliorate – memperbaiki, make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better.
- inordinate – banyak sekali, unusually or disproportionately large; excessive.
- alleviated – mengurangi, meredakan, meringankan, make (suffering, deficiency, or a problem) less severe.
- callous – tanpa perasaan, showing or having an insensitive and cruel disregard for others.
- perverse – sesat, jahat, busuk, yg suka melawan/menentang
- propensity – kecenderungan, kecondongan